21st Century Learner Standards

• Reading is a window to the world.
  • Inquiry provides a framework for learning.
  • Ethical behavior in the use of information must be taught.
  • Technology skills are crucial for future employment needs.
  • Equitable access is a key component for education.
  • The definition of information literacy has become more complex as resources and technologies have changed.
  • The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.
  • Learning has a social context.
  • School libraries are essential to the development of learning skills.

These are the core beliefs behind AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around them, and hopefully there are many educators (and not just media specialists) doing the same. I’m just glad to see that AASL is writing this in a way to let us know we too have to continue our learning.

Here’s my favorite:

The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.

Why that one? I love that it is written globally so that no one in the educational arena is excused. How can we teach the 21st Century Learner Standards if we can’t even wrap our own minds around them? This is one of many reasons I strive to learn something daily, and seek to expose myself to the newest tool or site. I don’t feel much like an advanced user of any tool, especially when I read a list like this. But it does help keep me grounded. Best, and one thing I find very comforting in this list, reading is first. And I would say the list is somewhat heirarchal too. Cool list, huh?

Image Atribution:

Image: ‘cover.’
http://www.ala.org/ala/aasl/aaslproftools/learningstandards/cover.JPG

2 thoughts on “21st Century Learner Standards

1. “The continuing expansion of information demands that all individuals acquire the thinking skills that will enable them to learn on their own.”

This should be a “bumper sticker”!

I still hear teachers saying that they’re waiting for the in-service before they try a new technique or tool. There will never be enough inservice. Learning must become embedded in professional practice and daily living!

2. Pingback: » “The Jane Austen Book Club” and reading online | Kate Says